If anyone has ever been a breakfast person, it’s definitely me. I can (and sometimes do!) eat breakfast food for every meal, and even snacks! Sweet or savory, doesn’t matter, I love it all.
While I was pregnant with Gideon, I watched some Netflix documentaries (What The Health, Food, Inc, Forks Over Knives, etc.) and went vegan! I felt great and loved the challenge of cooking and baking with substitutions. A lot of them are super tasty! After he was born, I was ravenous. Breastfeeding takes a lot out of my body, leaving me starving pretty much all of the time. Which meant that there have been more times than I would like where I slipped up on my vegan diet just so that I could have something to eat. Unfortunately, this led us to find out that dairy and possibly eggs do not agree with little Gideon’s tummy (at least through my breastmilk, we have yet to see how he does with them as solids). Since I don’t like meat, I am back to a strict vegan diet for the sake of my little boy.
Lunch and dinner are easy for me to vegan-ify and that has actually led me to eating much, much healthier than before! But breakfast always leaves me stumped. No eggs? No breakfast sandwiches? No croissants, muffins, cereal, cream cheese, or french toast? So many of my favorite things about breakfast aren’t compatible with my diet! Thankfully there are ways to get around that though. After searching the internet and through trial and error, here is my recipe for Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Bread! I like to bake it in the morning before Gideon wakes up so it’s warm and tasty when I’m ready to eat. Sometimes I’ll leave the chocolate chips out for him, or just cut out pieces for him around the chocolate.
Let me know how this works out for you if you give it a try! What kinds of things does your family like to eat for breakfast? Don’t forget if you have any questions or recipe requests to Ask a Bestie!
Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
This quick and easy loaf is a great, sweet start to your morning!
Makes: 1 loaf
- 3-4 ripe bananas
- ½ cup almond milk or water
- 2 ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup raw sugar
- ¼ cup coconut or olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips (Trader Joe’s brand chocolate chips are vegan!)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease your loaf tin with vegan butter (such as Earth Balance) or with oil.
- Break up bananas and combine in blender with almond milk or water until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and vanilla extract. Add banana mixture and oil. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter into loaf tin. Bake for 40 minutes. If you used coconut oil, make sure to let the loaf cool before removing from the pan.